Being a Hindu, turmeric plays a very big part in my life. It’s painted throughout our lives whether we’re ingesting it for a medical reason, drinking a turmeric latte at the cafe or sprinkling it in your curry. The significance of turmeric in Indian culture means it has a prominent role in rituals. The bride & groom are generally covered head to toe with turmeric paste before they enter the altar of the wedding ceremony. In this context, turmeric is a symbol of blessing for a healthy marital life, it has the promise of radiance and a healthy natural glow. Tumeric helps to remove dead skin cells, revealing younger and rejuvenated skin. It’s known for its purification abilities, to cleanse and purify the heart and soul. It can be used to ward off evil and curb pre-wedding jitters. The active compound in turmeric is known as curcumin, and amongst other wonderous properties, it can be used as a natural remedy for headaches and anxiety.
So, I would like to tell you about a beautiful face mask, that I religiously use, and have done since my own wedding day. This mixture contains turmeric, honey, yoghurt, chickpea flour & lemon. And some of the benefits of using this turmeric mask are;
- Leaves your skin bright and radiant
- Helps to slow the effects of ageing
- Excellent for acne
- It can also help reduce redness from blemishes and calm skin conditions like eczema and rosacea
- Reduces dark circles
- Protects against sun damage & ageing
- Improves the appearance of fine lines and brown spots caused by sun damage
- It also helps prevent the loss of skin elasticity due to long-term UV exposure
- Helps dissolve dead skin and tighten pores
Turmeric Beauty Mask Recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp honey (Manuka, if possible)
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp of Chickpea flour ( Gram Flour /Basan)
- 1 small squeeze of lemon juice (optional; this will help lighten dark spots whilst brightening)
- Mix all the ingredients together, and apply to cleansed, dry skin.
- Leave on for 20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
Please note, if your skin is sensitive, please do try a test patch!